Saturday, November 20, 2010

Letter from Alex

Everyday at 6:00 all the people from the home say the rosary together outside my window where there is a shrine of Mary with wonderful garden full of flowers of all colors. They say the rosary half in English and half in Luganda along with a wonderful song they all sing.
Today after they were done praying and there was a knock on my door and there stood Alex a 18 year old boy who has no use of his legs yet can from what I have seen cut the grass with a machete and carrier 5 liter jerry can of water all while using wooden crutches with no padding that he uses everyday.
I am always worried when someone knocks on my door cause keeping my privacy is something that I need to keep otherwise you let one student in and they will all coming knocking. So opening the door and seeing Alex with a letter in hand made me a little unease cause a letter to us volunteers can either be really good or a letter asking for something like for school fees or a marriage proposal.
I am happy to say the letter was very good. I guess I am blessed because this letter stated how happy he was that I am here to live with them for the next two years and that he hopes that he will learn a lot from each other.
The letter also went on about a conversation we had on Monday about the funeral we attended.

I remember speaking with him Monday after I attended my first funeral and he asked me if the funeral bothered me and if it is the same in America and I enclosed to him that it is the same people mourn the same here as they do back home and I told him about the passing of my father.
So in this letter it stated that he did not want me to be unhappy about the passing away of my father and he's to know how painful it is, so let him pray that the father of all fathers Jesus Christ is your father too and me too because we are in the same situation of the passing of our fathers. He also wished me a nice stay at the home and to have fun and feel at home and God bless me and that he will pray for me.
I love my new home and family in Uganda and feel very at home here. Peace Corps was the best decision I have made and thank God everyday that I am here happy and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment